Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Yoga and Meditation

Lately I have been doing a lot of reading about  meditation.  I have been to retreats and loved the group meditations and the quiet meditations I can experience on my own.  I am often up at 5 - 5:30 on a retreat while everyone sleeps so I can sit in silence, something I can't do at home with my three children.  Recently I attended a yoga and meditation class.  I do have a regular mediation practice, although not as regular as I would like.  It was so nice to sit and feel the meditative energy of other people.  If you are a regular meditator or have not done it before it is something I recommend.

Meditation is an integral part to a complete yoga practice.  Almost like breakfast being the most important meal of the day.  So many people come to yoga practice and they only do postures and forget the rest of it.  Yoga has so many limbs - 8 in fact.  Meditation being such an important piece of the pie.  For those who already "do it", they would recognize when they are sitting and when they are meditating.  If meditating you will lose your senses, forget what happened.  My favorite part of the meditation practice is when the bell rings and I realize that I was gone...  Fully aware but gone. 

One of my first real meditative experiences was when I was preparing for the birth of my second child.  I had planned a home birth and wanted the best thing I could do.  I already had a regular and strong yoga practice and in fact continued teaching until a few weeks before the birth.  I felt I needed and wanted a bit more.  I started practicing hypnobirthing.  I had read about it and until the practice took affect I did not realize that it was deep meditation.  When it was time for birth I practiced my mediation and did some postures.  The birth was amazing and almost pain free. 

When I sit now and meditate and it doesn't feel like it is working.  I remind myself to be present.  To listen to my breath.  To not worry too much about where my mind is wandering.  I don't try to ignore the itch that happens first on my shoulder, then my leg and then my back.  I know that my body does this every time and if I give it time the itches will go away and my mind will settle.  It will settle just as it did when I gave birth, just as it always does. 

Sometimes it doesn't work right away.  This is why they call it a practice.  I have learned to sit with it.  I have worked out so many problems this way.  I know if it really is a problem or just drama I have created just by sitting with it.  Sometimes the solution comes, sometimes I need to sit with it some more.

Sit with it and be present.

Hari Om,
Jenni

1 comment: