Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Finding Space

I know I mentioned in a previous blog that we were asked in our teacher training to find a space in our homes to use to practice every day. I was lucky in that the house we moved into this summer had that space and was one reason why I feel in love with this house. I thought - yeah a space where I can practice that isn't cold, damp, loud and over run with toys and kids.

I am realizing more and more how important that space is to me. The kids come in this room and they run around and yell but at night when the lights are out and everyone is sleeping or in the afternoon when the boys are at school and I am lucky to get my daughter down for a nap that space is truly mine.

It is a space that I don't have to spend an hour cleaning before I can get to the mat, because with three children if I were to spend an hour cleaning that would also be my practice time. It is a space with lots of light, we consciously decided not to replace the curtains that the previous owner left the rods in place for. It is a space that has a huge window so I can see the tree in our front yard, the sun during the day and the sky at night. We are also blessed with a lovely fireplace, it is gas so all I need to do is flick a switch, no storage of wood or danger for children and again, no mess to clean up.

The physical space to practice in is very important as you need enough room to move around as well as limited visual distractions. It is hard to focus on the postures or your meditation if your space is cluttered with mess. Likewise it is hard to focus on meditation, on the mind, on the breath and on the asana if your mind is cluttered. I am doing well in de-cluttering my space for practice as well as my home it is de-cluttering the mind that I need more practice with. I have all but eliminated television from my life - I still can't miss Grey's Anatomy but if I am not home I don't lose sleep over it or anything. I am trying more and more to avoid trash talk both listening and giving (come on we are all guilty of it at some point). As well worrying, I am a big worrier and really what is the point in worrying about something that has not happened yet and may not even be a big deal. If you read my previous blog it is about Bikram yoga - a big worry and fear - I am sure that once I jump off that cliff I will find myself cleared of a lot.

So go forth, clear your mind and your space.

Namaste,
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment